Click on An Image To Visit The Site

Shiraws Logo photo Shirlaws Logo_zpsxhmrizdx.jpg

To have your banner/link displayed contact mago1@hotmail.co.uk

Please support Irishroadracers.Com - by making a donation - All monies recived are used to maintain the hosting - operating costs of Our Sites - Radio Stations.
Irish-Roadracers-Media.com - Promoting Road Racing All Over The World
March 29, 2024, 01:32:02 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Store Gallery Links Calendar Login Register Chat  

John Donnan Inquest

Click On An Image Below For Live Timing - Classic Rock - Moto Podcasts - Live Race Broadcasts - Recorded Commentaries

New layer...
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: John Donnan Inquest  (Read 2327 times)
itsnota400

Itsnota400!

« on: January 19, 2010, 01:53:03 pm »

A coroner at an inquest into the death of a motorcyclist at one of Northern Ireland's top races has called for safety improvements. William John Donnan died when he fractured his skull after hitting a tree in a 100mph crash at the Tandragee 100 race in May 2007.

A barrister for his family argued that a hay bale supposed to slow down competitors helped cause the crash. The inquest also heard that officials ignored warnings the area was unsafe.

The 42-year-old, from Ardglass in County Down was catapulted into the air when the rider in front of him clipped a bale chicane into his path a split second before the crash.

Senior Coroner John Leckey said: "We are just approaching that period of the year when motorcycle road race events are being held and I am concerned that a hard look should be taken at the safety issues in all the circuits."

Mr Leckey admitted it was a "huge burden" for the "amateur enthusiasts" to carry.

We have these totally professional teams, highly financed teams and they are operating in an environment that is set up by enthusiasts.

Coroner John Leckey

"They are not paid to do it in their free time, to look at all the aspects of these courses and I am certain that they genuinely do their utmost to make them as safe as absolutely possible but if it is possible to beef up what is done then I am sure everyone will be glad if it could happen."

The coroner questioned why the bale, which was in the road and is designed to slow racers down ahead of a corner, was so easily dislodged and said more safety barriers might have saved the victim's life.

"We have reached a situation where we have these totally professional, highly financed teams and they are operating in an environment that is set up by enthusiasts and amateurs without any, it seems to me, professional guidance," he added.

James Irwin, chief marshal at the course, claimed he had warned the safety officers of the danger after seeing another rider, Leo Fitzpatrick, hit one of the same bales and break a leg.

He alleged he had not been allowed to express his concerns at a meeting and said adjusting the chicane slightly could have prevented the earlier rider from dislodging it and saved Mr Donnan's life.

Richard Nesbitt, convenor of the road inspection committee for looking after competitors' and spectators' safety for the Motorcycle Union of Ireland Ulster centre, said he could not remember receiving any such warning from Mr Irwin and claimed there was nothing more stable available in 2007.

"I can't remember the man saying anything sensible other than nattering away in my ear. If someone is constantly coming at you it is easier just to ignore them,"
he said.

Tony Harvey, incident officer for the Motorcycle Union of Ireland Ulster centre, conducted a review.

"It could only be described as a freak accident and a risk competitors accept in the pursuit of their chosen sport,"
he said.

Since the accident, Lego-style interconnected chicanes, which are more difficult to move, have been introduced.

Report Spam   Logged

www.irishroadracers.com
www.keithamorsupportersclub.com

Keith Amor Supporters Club Admin
Darren Burns Supporters Club Member
2 Stroke Racing Supporters Club Member

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Nod
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2010, 09:47:53 am »

Sadly some of the above comments above are going to have serious reprocusions of the future of the Sport as we know it.

Personally I think it's time for some 'old wood' to resign, because if thats the attitude of some of the Nationally appointed Stewarts - what confidence does it relay back to the riders?
Report Spam   Logged
johnny

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2010, 01:56:40 pm »

i totaly agree wit you nod it doesnt look good for the sport if officals cant agree with one another
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: