Click on An Image To Visit The Site

Shiraws Logo photo Shirlaws Logo_zpsxhmrizdx.jpg

To have your banner/link displayed contact mago1@hotmail.co.uk

Please support Irishroadracers.Com - by making a donation - All monies recived are used to maintain the hosting - operating costs of Our Sites - Radio Stations.
Irish-Roadracers-Media.com - Promoting Road Racing All Over The World
March 28, 2024, 11:47:43 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Store Gallery Links Calendar Login Register Chat  

photos as a living ?

Click On An Image Below For Live Timing - Classic Rock - Moto Podcasts - Live Race Broadcasts - Recorded Commentaries

New layer...
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: photos as a living ?  (Read 662 times)
Hizzy11

MAD ? Na, just a bike race fan.

« on: November 14, 2009, 07:51:35 pm »

Alright.
As some of you already know I had a puntured lung earlier this year. Due to this I have had to give up my marshalling duties due to not being able to lift bikes.
So I have been giving some thought to taking pics of them instead next season and hopefully making a living at it.
Any advice and tips would be most appreciated.
Cheers.
Report Spam   Logged

IF YER HEEDS DOON AN YER ERSE IS UP. YOU'LL BE GOIN' SOME

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Mago
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2009, 07:54:53 pm »

Alright.
As some of you already know I had a puntured lung earlier this year. Due to this I have had to give up my marshalling duties due to not being able to lift bikes.
So I have been giving some thought to taking pics of them instead next season and hopefully making a living at it.
Any advice and tips would be most appreciated.
Cheers.

Hizzy,

Most of the Pro Togs are using set ups costing well in excess of £7000.00.
Report Spam   Logged
alfie
Global Moderator

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2009, 01:22:06 pm »

In replying Hizzy I'll first apologise if I seem a little negative but don't be discouraged if you feel like giving it a go. I've been taking photos at road races on a semi-serious, keen amateur basis for about three years now. I moved up to a digital SLR towards the end of the 2007 season and finally invested in my own kit for the beginning of the 2008 season. Although I've been a race fan for over 30 years my efforts with a camera were very limited until I bought a Fuji compact/zoom digital camera about 6 years ago.

Since 2004 I've spent about £4,000 on cameras and lenses and I'll probably spend that amount again any time soon  Shocked as I progress on to the Pro equipment. However I don't expect to recoup any of my outlay. I have sold some pics but they've been on a promotional/non profit basis for a fund raising calendar that me and a few colleagues at roadracingsupporters.com produce each year. Whether I could make the step up and profit from my pics is doubtful. Firstly I don't think most of my stuff is good enough although I have had some success and I've been published once or twice. Secondly the market is a very, very small one indeed. If you take out magazines such as Irish Racer, Road Racing Ireland and BSN the remaining mainstream motorcycle press aren't too interested in real road racing when the likes of BSB, MGP and WSB takes up most of their column inches. Race fans and riders will buy individual photos from time to time but I think that's probably not cost effective on a small scale. Pro 'togs that I know or have spoken too all complain about the thin margins that they have to work to and unless they can get a contract/employment with a magazine or such like they know they'll have to work real hard. A mate of mine, no names because he's well known on the forums, despite 30 years experience and expertise struggles to even recover his travel expenses with the proceeds of his work. As motorsport correspondent for two local, but wide circulation, West Country, English newspapers he's just given up even claiming his expenses and works for free just to maintain his accreditation!

When you look at the competition out there it's never going to be easy. There's some brilliant 'togs producing stunning images that you only ever see on the forums or websites and never in print. Some of the pros that we all know have to work especially hard to maintain their edge. Unlike us enthusiatic amateurs they have to approach things in a more business like manner. I observed Stephen Davison at the Scarborugh Gold Cup in September and I was amazed at his work rate and the way he covered the circuit, on foot, every race. I don't think he was ever in one place for more than a lap of each race. He was constantly on his toes. One momenet he'd be stood next to you the next you'd see a tell tale lens poking out of a hedge a 1/4 mile up the circuit as he'd be trying to get that elusive shot. Seemed too much like hard work for me   Grin For me that's probably the point, I enjoy photographing the racing and spectating at the same time and whilst I'd love to think I could make my fortune from my photos I don't want to make it into work. Work is very bad for me and this summer I took early retirement after 32 years in the Fire Service so that I could indulge my passion and watch and photograph the racing. I think I'd spoil that if I had to be there to make ends meet.

One route that may be more productive is to concentarte on club racing or similar level. Some pro's that I've talked to attach themselves to indivdual clubs and market their stuff at the club riders. It's probably only the riders themselves, friends and family that'll buy the pics but by some accounts that does prove to be lucrative.

Hizzy, as I said before don't be discouraged by my experience and take on this, it is a personal thing anyway, have a go and I wish you the best of luck.
Report Spam   Logged

alfie
Mago
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2009, 03:43:46 pm »

Alfie very well put and  100% correct, in what you say.
Report Spam   Logged
Hizzy11

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2009, 08:18:22 pm »

Thanks guys. That helps a bit and is sort of what I expected to here. At the moment it will be strictly limited to Scottish meetings on a Hobby basis. I have been looking at an Digital SLR camera. An Olympus E10. They seem to sell pretty cheap. I thought it might be a good beginners camera.....Comments ? Grin
Report Spam   Logged

alfie
Global Moderator

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2009, 08:58:31 pm »

Hizzy, I've no experience or knowledge regarding Olympus cameras but I'd agree that a DSLR is a must. Canon and Nikon appear to be the favoured brands around the race circuits and you'll find that these two brands are generally matched with one another in terms of specs and price.

Have a look here http://www.camerapricebuster.co.uk/ for a bargain or two.

Report Spam   Logged

alfie
Hizzy11

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2009, 09:17:01 pm »

thanks will check it out Grin
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: