Click on An Image To Visit The Site

Shiraws Logo photo Shirlaws Logo_zpsxhmrizdx.jpg

To have your banner/link displayed contact mago1@hotmail.co.uk

Please support Irishroadracers.Com - by making a donation - All monies recived are used to maintain the hosting - operating costs of Our Sites - Radio Stations.
Irish-Roadracers-Media.com - Promoting Road Racing All Over The World
April 18, 2024, 07:22:03 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Store Gallery Links Calendar Login Register Chat  

SUPERBIKE SUCCESS FOR FARQUHAR AT SCARBOROUGH

Click On An Image Below For Live Timing - Classic Rock - Moto Podcasts - Live Race Broadcasts - Recorded Commentaries

New layer...
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: SUPERBIKE SUCCESS FOR FARQUHAR AT SCARBOROUGH  (Read 514 times)
Mago
Administrator

« on: September 21, 2009, 08:55:46 am »

By Phil Wain

Picture by: Glynne Lewis

Dungannon's Ryan Farquhar wrapped up his incredible 2009 season with yet another victory at the weekend when he took his 61st win of the year at Oliver's Mount, Scarborough. Despite being hindered all weekend with his continuing hand injury, Farquhar took an excellent win in Saturday's Superbike race whilst third place in Sunday's second leg saw him win the coveted Darran Lindsay Trophy.

The 2.43-mile public road circuit was blessed with fine weather all weekend and with a bumper crowd in attendance, Farquhar was keen to put on a good show for his many fans. After winning his heat race, the first leg of the Superbikes couldn't have gone any better as he led from start to finish, despite coming under extreme pressure from Ian Hutchinson and Guy Martin who ultimately collided on the final lap.

Farquhar then took second place in the combined 400/Mini Twins race, the first of the Mini Twins to finish, but he opted out of the Supersport 600cc race in order to rest his hand ready for Sunday's races.

Having led Sunday's second Superbike leg in the early stages, Farquhar had to give second best to Hutchinson and Michael Pearson  although he was safe in the knowledge that third place would see him win the Darran Lindsay Trophy. Despite retiring early from the second Mini Twins race, Farquhar was prepared to give it his all one last time in the feature Gold Cup race and slotted in to second behind Martin in the early stages but a big moment on the exit of the Memorial saw him get winded severely and although he tried to continue he had to pull in half way through the race.

"It's been a tough weekend and I've really struggled with my hand throughout. I had an injection on Saturday but it's a very physical circuit with all the turns and tight hairpins so it's disappointing not to have been able to put in 100% in all the races," said Farquhar.

"I felt that I could have given Guy (Martin) a good run in the Gold Cup race even but I had a big moment coming out of the Memorial and I headbutted the screen and hit my chest on the tank so I was fairly winded. I tried to continue but I was just too sore and decided to pull in."

"I was really pleased to have won Saturday's Superbike race fair and square and that showed how well the bike was working and this could be seen in the lap times whilst third place in Sunday's second leg was good enough for me to win the Darran Lindsay Trophy so that was very pleasing.

"It was a shame I couldn't get out on the 600 but it's been a superb year and the crowd were really supportive of me again this weekend so I'm grateful for all the support I've received. Like I say, it's been a fantastic year but I'm glad it's over now as I'm ready for a nice break where I can relax a bit and allow my hand to heal properly. Thanks again to all the sponsors and team for their hard work throughout 2009, it's been a fairytale season and I'm extremely grateful for everything they've done."

Although his road racing season is over, Farquhar does have one more race this year as he, like a number of his fellow racers, will be contesting the 'Kings of Wanneroo' race in Australia in November.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

guzziman

« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2009, 11:05:20 am »

A very brave effort from Ryan in the Gold Cup race. He was having a struggle, what with his hand and a missing screen, but he still fought on. Tony the commentator thought a clip-on was loose when he pulled in.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: