Click on An Image To Visit The Site

Shiraws Logo photo Shirlaws Logo_zpsxhmrizdx.jpg

To have your banner/link displayed contact mago1@hotmail.co.uk

Please support Irishroadracers.Com - by making a donation - All monies recived are used to maintain the hosting - operating costs of Our Sites - Radio Stations.
Irish-Roadracers-Media.com - Promoting Road Racing All Over The World
March 29, 2024, 03:21:37 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Store Gallery Links Calendar Login Register Chat  

Whyte Outlines Future for North West 200

Click On An Image Below For Live Timing - Classic Rock - Moto Podcasts - Live Race Broadcasts - Recorded Commentaries

New layer...
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Whyte Outlines Future for North West 200  (Read 363 times)
Mago
Administrator

« on: August 25, 2009, 05:07:41 pm »

North West 200 race chief Mervyn Whyte MBE is relinquishing his position as Clerk of Course but has offered to take on a more strategic role to ensure the North West continues to develop and improve for future fans and competitors.

“In recent years the workload has grown significantly and the Clerk of Course role is now a full time, all year round position demanding up to 70 hours work per week especially in the months preceding Race Week. The North West 200 generates up to £9 million for the Northern Ireland economy and any other event of a similar size would almost certainly utilise a full team of professional staff. I believe the position and responsibility has now become too much for one person and the North West 200 requires a more shared approach.” explained Mervyn Whyte.

On behalf of organisers Coleraine & District Motor Club Ltd, the Clerk of Course has submitted a business case to DCAL Events Unit, which proposes the recruitment of a new full-time Events Manager who would assist Whyte in all planning and operational activities as well as normal Clerk of Course duties. Mr Whyte would take on the role of Event Director ensuring all aspects of the event are effectively and efficiently managed and also look after the strategic development of the North West 200.

Mr Whyte continued, “We are currently consulting with local and central government funding bodies and I would urge that the decision process is completed as soon as possible to enable the new team to pick up the baton and forge ahead with the ongoing work and plans for the 2010 North West 200.

“The North West 200 has been a major part of my life since I joined the Coleraine Club in the 1970’s and naturally I want to be on hand to work alongside a new events manager and Clerk of Course. As Clerk of Course for the past nine years I have built up an extensive bank of expertise, knowledge and contacts which I want to pass on in a professional capacity to ensure complete continuity for the event. Myself and the Coleraine Club are keen to resolve the situation as soon as possible. However without additional support I will sadly have no alternative but to cease my links with the event.”

Since 2001 Mervyn’s Clerk of Course duties have not only included race activities, but have extended to all aspects of business and event management. These include managing the 800 plus volunteers, preparation of the 9 mile course, creating an event safety plan, liaising with government and funding partners, sourcing sponsors and event marketing as well as the detailed administrative management required to organise an international road race which each year attracts upwards of 240 competitors and over 130,000 spectators.

Mervyn Whyte went on to thank the Department of Culture, Arts and Leisure and Coleraine Borough Council for all their support and funding to date, “DCAL and Coleraine Borough Council’s advice, help and cash funding has been invaluable. They undoubtedly recognise the importance of the event’s strategic development and the Coleraine Club looks forward to continuing to work alongside both organisations.”

John Wilson, Chairman of Coleraine & District Motor Club Ltd said, “Mervyn has done a wonderful job as Clerk of Course. He works tirelessly all year round behind the scenes and has been a major influence in turning the North West 200 into one of the world’s best road racing meetings and increasing its global profile.

“However, as the North West 200 has grown – both in terms of spectators attending and riders participating – the current Clerk of Course workload is simply too much for one man and moving forward, a more structured approach is essential.”

The International North West 200 has received many awards in the past few years including Event of the Year at the NITB Awards in 2008, the Freedom of Coleraine in 2003, a CIPR Gold Award for public relations in 2004, a NI Travel & Tourism Award in 2005, a Belfast Telegraph Sports Award for Mervyn Whyte in 2006 and in 2007 Mervyn was awarded an MBE for services to motorsport.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: