Click on An Image To Visit The Site

Shiraws Logo photo Shirlaws Logo_zpsxhmrizdx.jpg

To have your banner/link displayed contact mago1@hotmail.co.uk

Please support Irishroadracers.Com - by making a donation - All monies recived are used to maintain the hosting - operating costs of Our Sites - Radio Stations.
Irish-Roadracers-Media.com - Promoting Road Racing All Over The World
April 20, 2024, 04:43:14 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Store Gallery Links Calendar Login Register Chat  

Solid top five finishes at Kells for Martin

Click On An Image Below For Live Timing - Classic Rock - Moto Podcasts - Live Race Broadcasts - Recorded Commentaries

New layer...
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Solid top five finishes at Kells for Martin  (Read 344 times)
Mago
Administrator

« on: July 21, 2009, 10:22:32 pm »

Courtsey of Phil Wain - Freelance PR

Pictures by Alan Armstrong Photography

Kirmington's Guy Martin racked up two top five finishes at the Kells Road Races on Sunday, where he was competing for the first time since 2007. Fresh from his victory in the Southern 100 Championship, the Hydrex Honda rider finished fifth in both the Open and Grand Final races despite having to start from the second group of riders.

With poor weather hitting the 2.25-mile venue during practice, organisers decided to make the practice sessions untimed with the grid formation being decided by championship position. Having not contested any of the previous rounds that meant Guy had to start from the second wave of riders for the two 8-lap races whilst race fans also saw him competing in the unusual helmet colours of fellow competitor Adrian Archibald, his own AGV model having sustained damage from flying stones at the Southern 100 just days earlier.

Starting from the second wave was always going to be a difficult task for Guy as although he was comfortably quicker than those riders in his wave, he found himself circulating on his own in both races. With no riders to race against, there was no one to gauge himself against nor any target to aim for and he ultimately finished fifth in both 8-lap races although he wasn't too far behind the leading group of riders on corrected time.

Speaking later Guy said: "It was a steady weekend and with all the weather problems on Saturday, 5 laps of practice on Sunday morning on the Superbike wasn't really enough. The lack of a 600 machine held me back as well as I really needed to get some laps in so that I could get dialled back in to the circuit. If I'd been in the first group, I would have had people to battle with and that always drags you along but I was just riding ride on my own. I did enjoy the weekend though and Aileen and Lester Ferguson looked after me good and proper so big thanks to them. The results weren't what I was looking for but I had a nice ride in both races and the bike never missed a beat so I'll look forward to the Mid Antrim now."

Guy now has a two-week break before his next meeting, which will be at the Mid Antrim '150' races, a venue that he last competed at in 2005. The races take place on Saturday August 1st.

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: