Click on An Image To Visit The Site

Shiraws Logo photo Shirlaws Logo_zpsxhmrizdx.jpg

To have your banner/link displayed contact mago1@hotmail.co.uk

Please support Irishroadracers.Com - by making a donation - All monies recived are used to maintain the hosting - operating costs of Our Sites - Radio Stations.
Irish-Roadracers-Media.com - Promoting Road Racing All Over The World
March 28, 2024, 12:31:04 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Store Gallery Links Calendar Login Register Chat  

Tyrone rider dies in race crash

Click On An Image Below For Live Timing - Classic Rock - Moto Podcasts - Live Race Broadcasts - Recorded Commentaries

New layer...
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tyrone rider dies in race crash  (Read 2868 times)
itsnota400

Itsnota400!

« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2009, 02:27:12 pm »

Wednesday July 15 2009 By Jack Corry
http://www.fingal-independent.ie/sport/other-sports/tragedy-strikes-at-races-1821207.html

The Annual Walderstown Road Races was abandoned last Sunday, after a tragic accident, that took the life of popular Dungannon rider, Andrew Neill.

The rain soaked practice on Saturday, saw the Fore Club only get through four practice sessions. With the weather slightly better on Sunday morning, Clerk of the Course Sean Bissett endeavoured to get the rest of the practice in, and had the roads closed early. The first practice for Support riders was red flagged after only two laps, when a rider crashes, and suffered shoulder injuries.

The 125 was next, and the heavy shower that preceded the practice, saw the riders sent out for two controlled practice laps behind the travelling marshals.

It was on the second controlled lap, that the somewhat freak accident took place, when the Dungannon rider parted company with his Honda, and crashed into the ditch. I witnessed the Travelling doctors and Paramedics work to try and save the stricken rider, but to no avail.

This year, Andrew was having a great season, and even beat Michael Dunlop on his home course of Bush in the 250 class, and was lying second to Michael in both the Irish and Two Stroke 250 Championships.

Earlier this year at the North West 200, Andrew's team mate, and near neighbour, Mark Young lost his life, and for sponsor Derek Wray, who sponsored riders, the shock and loss is devastating.

Andrew wife Sharon was always by his side, and his loss will be felt both North and South. Andrew and Mark were also members of the Loughshinny based Two Stroke Racing Supporters Club, and they, along with the large racing circle in Fingal, extend their sympathies to all the Neill family, and his large circle of friends.
Report Spam   Logged

www.irishroadracers.com
www.keithamorsupportersclub.com

Keith Amor Supporters Club Admin
Darren Burns Supporters Club Member
2 Stroke Racing Supporters Club Member

two stroke joe
Administrator

« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2009, 11:14:41 pm »

By Baylon McCaughey

Andrew Neill

Thanks to everyone who has posted here, i am only home from the tragic race meeting, as i took yesterday off, i am just after penning a few lines for my local , it isnt easy doing this, so i hope it reads ok, and that there arent too many mistakes.

RIP Andrew, youre potential was never realised.
Baylon

Words cannot describe how i feel, as motorcycling has lost another star rider, and more so, as the rider being a local, only 8 weeks after Mark Youngs tragic accident at the NW200.

Road racing , and local fans in general were devastated when the news filtered back to the Walderstown paddock that local road racing star, Andrew Neil had passed away after a spill during practices for the 125 race at The Race of the South meeting on Sunday.

It seemed, that after all the years of hard work, that Andy was beginning to get the results he richly deserved, when Tradgedy struck.

Adverse weather conditions had thrown the race programme behind scheduled. Heavy rain on Saturday forced the organizers to abandon practices after some parts of the circuit became to dangerous with surface water causing the problems.

With some practices still to be run on Sunday morning, the club got going with the 400 support practice, this lasted 3 laps, before two riders were involved in a crash, on a damp part of the circuit. Brian O Loughlin suffered a suspected broken collarbone in the crash.

However, as his machine hit the wall of a neighbours garden, there was another delay in the race proceedings.

The 125 class as next up, it started in dry conditons, but heavy rain fell as thr riders were on the circuit, the riders were on a controlled lap before doing three timed laps ,It was during this session, that Andrew crashed, suffering injuries that were to prove fatal.

After another delay, the organizers cancelled the race meeting, The Sad news began to filter back to the Paddock, which then became one of numbness as riders packed for home.

On Saturday, Andrew had qualified in 4th place for the 250 race and 12th for the Senior class.
Only a few weeks ago, the Newmills rider had monopolised the opposition to win the 250 race at his local road race, the Bush.

He was the only rider that gave Michael Dunlop, a race for his money in the 250 class this year.
He was currently lying second in the Two Stroke Supporters Club championship behind his team mate Michael Dunlop

Having finished on the podium at the Manx Grand Prix a few years ago, Andy was one of the favourites for the 2008 MGP, But a practice spill put paid to that, it was always his ambition to compete at the International Isle of Man TT races, and this year Andy made the bold move to give up a chance to win at the MGP, and go to the TT, He certainly didn’t disgrace himself, as he finished 19th and 16th in the 600 races, no mean feat indeed.

Just prior Andrews fateful outing, I had been having a wee chat with him, he had been in with John Burrows for his usual wee bit of craic , i had congratulated him on his results of recent, and in typical Andrew Neil fashion, he nearly seemed embarrassed about it!, he did however say, that without the backing he had this year from the Wray bros and Colly Walker, the results wouldn’t have been possible!

We then talked about his first ever race, at Aghadowey, when he rode a 200 yamaha!, “ I fell off on the first lap!, and My Dad spent the rest of the day welding the exhausts etc to get me out again, but in the mean time, Brian Lavery coaxed me into taking his FZ750 out!, so that was some Baptism of Fire!To start racing with!”,

Then the riders were called to the grid for the 125 practice, Little did I know, That, those would the last words I would have with Andy.

I was still with John Burrows, who was working on my bike, when a fellow competitor walked in and told us what had happened!, He walked away, we knew it didn’t sound good, but we still didn’t believe that the worse news was still to come.

Andy was the chosen rider for the famous Moira motor cycle club, he rode their 600 yamaha with great distinction, this team has supported some top class riders over the years, and certainly to ride for this team would be a privilege for any rider, Andrew was one of those riders to enjoy that privilege.

Over the years, i have attended many Press Conferences, Functions for riders etc, in fact anything to do with the sport, and I can honestly say, that, along with his wife Sharon, there weren’t too many That Andrew failed to attend.

Such was his nature, he loved the sport, It goes without saying, he was one of those guys in the race paddock, that ALWAYS spoke to you, whether he was having a good day or bad day!

Before I left the paddock, I met a lad, who said to me “ I didn’t know Andy, but my mate got his bike serviced at his workplace last week, and he was telling me, such a nice chap he was, nothing seemed a problem to him!”

Andrew was a member of the D&G Wray Race team, and was team mate to Mark Young, who lost his life at the North West 200, For the Wray Bros Race team, to loose a rider, is without doubt devastating, but to loose TWO of their riders within two months, is beyond belief!.

Andy was a very loyal person to his sponsors, as i remember him telling me, a few years ago, when he was offered Martin Bullock bikes for the MGP, he said he would have to contact is sponsors before giving them an answer! A true supporter of two stroke racing, Andrew was meticulous in his bike preparation.

To his wife Sharon, His parents Alfie and Muriel, sister Jacquie, brothers Denver and Alwyn, the Wray Bros , Derek and Gerard, brother in law, Timmy, and the remaining family circle, ,to Colly, and his workmates at Motorworld, where he worked as a salesman , I offer my Deepest Sympathies.

This week, the Southern 100 road races take place in the Isle of Man, and like many, Andy was due to take part, Two fellow locals, John Burrows and Ryan Farquhar were also due to take part, but both riders have stayed at home as a mark of Respect to the Neil Family.

A motor cycle cortege led the funeral to his home on Monday evening

Andrew Neill’s funeral will leave the family home 25 Drumreagh Crescent Newmills (Dungannon) To Morrow, Thursday at 1.00pm arriving at Eglish Presbyterian church at approx 2.00pm.

After the church service the committal will take place at Benburb cemetery where there will be refreshments.

(I have copied this from irishracephotography, and posted it up here, as i think it should be shared with you all.

baylon it is heart rendering words again, so soon after you lost your friend mark young, only a person like you could pen such a wonderful truibute, at these sad times, my thanks to you for shareing this with us.)

Report Spam   Logged

Mago
Administrator

« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2009, 11:30:48 pm »

Thanks to Baylon and to you Joe for posting up on here.
Report Spam   Logged
Dayglo

« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2009, 09:01:03 am »

Andrew worked in our Lisburn shop, All the staff at Motoworld would like to convey their condolences to Sharon and all his family and friends.

RIP Andy.
Report Spam   Logged
hellandback

welcome to my world....

« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2009, 11:52:12 am »

another terrible tragedy, my heartfelt sympathy and wishes go out to his family and friends x
Report Spam   Logged
Frank2

« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2009, 03:15:45 pm »

Condolences to family and friends.RIP Andy.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: