Click on An Image To Visit The Site

Shiraws Logo photo Shirlaws Logo_zpsxhmrizdx.jpg

To have your banner/link displayed contact mago1@hotmail.co.uk

Please support Irishroadracers.Com - by making a donation - All monies recived are used to maintain the hosting - operating costs of Our Sites - Radio Stations.
Irish-Roadracers-Media.com - Promoting Road Racing All Over The World
April 19, 2024, 02:17:23 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Store Gallery Links Calendar Login Register Chat  

Heartache for McGuinness in 500cc Classic TT

Click On An Image Below For Live Timing - Classic Rock - Moto Podcasts - Live Race Broadcasts - Recorded Commentaries

New layer...
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Heartache for McGuinness in 500cc Classic TT  (Read 395 times)
Mago
Administrator

« on: August 23, 2014, 06:37:50 pm »

For the second year in a row, Morecambe’s John McGuinness suffered heartache in the 500cc Classic TT race when he was forced to retire on the opening lap of Saturday’s 4-lap race around the 37 and 3/4-mile Mountain Course.

Having set an unofficial lap record of 112.031mph on Roger Winfield’s 500cc Paton in Friday evening’s final practice session, John had high hopes of making up for last year’s retirement in the corresponding race and everything was going to plan when he swept through the first timing point at Glen Helen, some 8.1s clear of fellow Paton rider Ian Lougher.

By Ballaugh, some 17 miles into the lap, John had extended his lead to 11 seconds but soon after it was clear all was not well as he was timed through the Sulby speed trap at 128mph, some 17mph down on the quickest speed set by Lougher. Sure enough, news soon came through that John was a retirement at Ginger Hall, a loose front master cylinder having worked its way loose.

Speaking later, a disappointed John said; “I’m massively disappointed to have retired so soon in the race as everything was looking so good. Practice week had gone well and having not had the best of years, I put my heart and soul into getting a result in this race and, ideally a win. The bike was faultless during practice week and the 112mph lap on Friday evening felt really good so I was quietly confident going into the race.”

“I was pleased to be starting first on the road and I took full advantage of the clear track in front of me. I knew Ryan (Farquhar) had a bigger tank so my tactic was to push really hard to try and make sure I had a bit of an advantage coming into the fuel stop. The track was good, conditions were good and I was really enjoying riding the bike. Everything was flowing nicely and to have an 11-second lead half way round the lap shows what kind of pace I was on and it would definitely have been a strong opening lap.”

“Just after Ballaugh though, I knew something was wrong and had no option other than to cruise along the Sulby Straight and pull in at Ginger Hall for a pint. I’ve never had anything like that happen before and to be forced out of the race by a 10p bolt working its way loose is a hard one to take. I’m disappointed for Roger and the whole team as they’ve worked really hard and it’s not cheap to get these bikes built and prepared. It’s no-ones fault though and nothing anyone could have done to prevent it, it’s literally just one of those things.”
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: