Click on An Image To Visit The Site

Shiraws Logo photo Shirlaws Logo_zpsxhmrizdx.jpg

To have your banner/link displayed contact mago1@hotmail.co.uk

Please support Irishroadracers.Com - by making a donation - All monies recived are used to maintain the hosting - operating costs of Our Sites - Radio Stations.
Irish-Roadracers-Media.com - Promoting Road Racing All Over The World
April 20, 2024, 11:50:06 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Store Gallery Links Calendar Login Register Chat  

Duke Road Race Rankings - It was a Dunlop day at the North West 200

Click On An Image Below For Live Timing - Classic Rock - Moto Podcasts - Live Race Broadcasts - Recorded Commentaries

New layer...
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Duke Road Race Rankings - It was a Dunlop day at the North West 200  (Read 803 times)
Mago
Administrator

« on: May 18, 2014, 09:22:58 am »

It was a Dunlop day at the Vauxhall International North West 200, round four of the Duke Road Race Rankings 2014, as Michael Dunlop won the feature Superbike race on the Hawk/Motorrad BMW and his elder brother William won the other for Tyco Suzuki.

His second victory on in the CP Hire Superstock race plus three podiums in the Pirtek Superstock race, the EventServ Superbike race and the Anchor Complex Supertwin race during race week ensured Michael was also the recipient of the Man of the Meeting award.

“We came here with no time whatsoever on the bikes and we beat BSB riders like Alastair Seeley and Josh Brookes.” Michael smiled afterwards.

“We did it in the wet and in the dry today and this means that I have now won International road races on BMW’s, Kawasakis, Yamahas and Hondas.”

The day had started badly for the Ballymoney man after he finished a lowly fifth in the opening Milwaukee Supersport race, which was won by veteran Kiwi, Bruce Anstey on a Valvoline Padgett’s Honda. Anstey had benefited from a coming together by race leaders Lee Johnston (Pirtek Honda) and Alastair Seeley (Mar-Train Yamaha) at Metropole corner that saw both of them crash out of the race without injury.

“I think I got out of bed on the right side this morning.” the 45-year-old laughed after taking the win.

“My 600 is as fast as anything out there and I had lost out to Johnston and

Seeley when I overshot Mather’s chicane.”

2013 Top Ten

2014 Rounds

Champions

2002 - 2014

Michael Dunlop bounced back to finish runner up behind brother William in the second race of the day, the opening Superbike encounter. This was the race of the day as Michael, who had made a terrible start, reeled in his elder sibling and passed him at Metropole on the final lap.

The packed grandstands were on their feet as the local heroes shared each other’s wheel tracks along the Coast road. A superb late braking manoeuvre saw William slip past at Juniper Hill chicane and he managed to hold on to win his first International superbike race.

“I didn’t even know Michael was there until Mather’s on the last lap.” the 28 year old said afterwards.

“I had been taking it easy to save the tyres but I had to start racing again. It’s been a long time coming but it’s nice to have won here on a 125, 250, 600 and big bike.”

Fermanagh’s Lee Johnston steered his Pirtek Kawasaki to his second Supertwin victory of the week with Michael Dunlop (McAdoo Kawasaki) finishing second and James Cowton (Kendo Racing Kawasaki) taking third.

"I really needed that," the Maguiresbridge rider admitted afterwards. "I've been walking round the paddock with a long face after what happened in the Supersport race so I really wanted to win this race and pushed hard once I'd got to the front.”

After that the day belonged to Michael Dunlop. The Ballymoney extended his North West win tally to four with victories in the CP Hire Superstock race and the Vauxhall Superbike race on BMW S1000RRs.

Dunlop and Batham’s BMW mounted Michael Rutter were locked in battle when the red flags came out on the third lap after Simon Andrews (Penz13.com BMW) crashed heavily on the approach to Metropole.

Andrews was airlifted by helicopter to hospital and Dunlop declared the winner of the shortened race with Rutter in second and Gary Johnson (Lincs Lifting Kawasaki) in third.

Dunlop got another poor start in the feature Superbike race but battled his way through the pack to catch early leaders Josh Brookes (Milwaukee Yamaha) and Alastair Seeley (Mar-Train Kawasaki) by breaking the lap record twice. The Ballymoney man grabbed the lead on the fourth lap of five and opened a gap when Brookes ran wide on to the grass at Mather’s chicane.

“I really wanted to show what I could do on the BMW and the crowd was fantastic as they cheered me on on that last lap.” he said as he supped the winners’ bubbly.

“After the first race I had a good feel for the bike and we made a few changes that made things better and the best thing was that I stopped anyone beating my dad Robert’s record of 15 North West wins.”

Brookes eventually finished second, beating Seeley by 1.6 seconds after setting a new outright lap record of 122.958mph on the final lap of the race in what was only the Aussie BSB star’s third road race meeting.

“I am thrilled to be on the podium today.” he said after taking his second rostrum finish of race week and earning the Overseas Man of the Meeting award.

Peter Hickman (Ice Valley BMW) took the Best Newcomer award with four top 20 finishes during the week.

William Dunlop

Celebrating his maiden International Superbike Win!

Current Duke Road Race Rankings Champion Michael Dunlop climbs to the top of the table, up some 17 places whilst nis elder brother William slots into third position up three spots. Sandwiched between the Ballymoney pair is Guy Martin in second, who also moves up three positions.

In all there are nine new entries in the top 50 after the first of the International Road Races of the 2014 series has been concluded.

Topping the New Entries is Alastair Seeley in sixth position, with Michael Rutter presently in ninth and Horst Saiger in tenth.

Pos Rider Previous Moves Points

Rd. Round

4 3

North West Around A Pound

200 Tandragee 100

Road Races Road Races

1 Michael Dunlop 18 Up 17 490

2 Guy Martin 5 Up 3 350

3 William Dunlop 6 Up 3 348

4 Ivan Lintin 1 Down 3 334

5 James Cowton 9 Up 4 297

6 Alastair Seeley New Entry 267

7 Lee Johnston 35 Up 28 256

8 Dan Kneen 1 Down 7 254

9 Michael Rutter New Entry 236

10 Horst Saiger New Entry 236

11 Jamie Hamilton 10 Down 1 221

12 Alastair Haworth 3 Down 9 220

13 Michael Sweeney 3 Down 10220

14 Ryan Farquhar 11 Down 4 211

15 Derek McGee 7 Down 8 206

16 Seamus Elliott 8 Down 8 193

17 Josh Brookes New Entry 190

18 Dean Harrison 12 Down 6 167

19 Conor Cummins New Entry 156

20 Derek Sheils 14 Down 6 145

21 Barry Davidson 13 Down 7 134

22 Gary Johnson New Entry 132

23 Davy Morgan 15 Down 8 126

24 Philip Shaw 16 Down 8 119

25 Keith Amor 34 Up 9 116

26 Connor Behan 17 Down 9 115

27 Jamie Coward 19 Down 8 101

28 Sam Dunlop 20 Down 8 100

29 Daley Mathison 21 Down 8 100

30 Neil Kernohan 22 Down 8 98

31 Tom Robinson 23 Down 8 98

32 Anthony McColgan 24 Down 8 97

33 Martin Jessopp New Entry 96

34 Bruce Anstey New Entry 92

35 Paul Robinson 25 Down 1090

36 Derek Costello 26 Down 1086

37 Robert McCrum 27 Down 1085

38 Shaun Anderson 28 Down 1082

39 Nick Anderson 29 Down 1081

40 John Ella 30 Down 1080

41 Davie Hastings 31 Down 1079

42 William Cowden 32 Down 1075

43 Tommy Henry 33 Down 1075

44 Justin Waring 36 Down 8 72

45 Stephen McKnight 37 Down 8 69

46 James Hillier New Entry 64

47 Paul Jordan 38 Down 9 61

48 Jonathan Doran 39 Down 9 60

49 Nigel Moore 40 Down 9 60

50 Freddie Stewart 41 Down 9 56

Full details of the Duke Road Race Rankings can be found on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/DukeRoadRaceRankings

His second victory on in the CP Hire Superstock race plus three podiums in the Pirtek Superstock race, the EventServ Superbike race and the Anchor Complex Supertwin race during race week ensured Michael was also the recipient of the Man of the Meeting award.

“We came here with no time whatsoever on the bikes and we beat BSB riders like Alastair Seeley and Josh Brookes.” Michael smiled afterwards.

“We did it in the wet and in the dry today and this means that I have now won International road races on BMW’s, Kawasakis, Yamahas and Hondas.”

The day had started badly for the Ballymoney man after he finished a lowly fifth in the opening Milwaukee Supersport race, which was won by veteran Kiwi, Bruce Anstey on a Valvoline Padgett’s Honda. Anstey had benefited from a coming together by race leaders Lee Johnston (Pirtek Honda) and Alastair Seeley (Mar-Train Yamaha) at Metropole corner that saw both of them crash out of the race without injury.

“I think I got out of bed on the right side this morning.” the 45-year-old laughed after taking the win.

“My 600 is as fast as anything out there and I had lost out to Johnston and Seeley when I overshot Mather’s chicane.”

Michael Dunlop bounced back to finish runner up behind brother William in the second race of the day, the opening Superbike encounter. This was the race of the day as Michael, who had made a terrible start, reeled in his elder sibling and passed him at Metropole on the final lap.

The packed grandstands were on their feet as the local heroes shared each other’s wheel tracks along the Coast road. A superb late braking manoeuvre saw William slip past at Juniper Hill chicane and he managed to hold on to win his first International superbike race.

“I didn’t even know Michael was there until Mather’s on the last lap.” the 28 year old said afterwards.

“I had been taking it easy to save the tyres but I had to start racing again. It’s been a long time coming but it’s nice to have won here on a 125, 250, 600 and big bike.”

Fermanagh’s Lee Johnston steered his Pirtek Kawasaki to his second Supertwin victory of the week with Michael Dunlop (McAdoo Kawasaki) finishing second and James Cowton (Kendo Racing Kawasaki) taking third.

"I really needed that," the Maguiresbridge rider admitted afterwards. "I've been walking round the paddock with a long face after what happened in the Supersport race so I really wanted to win this race and pushed hard once I'd got to the front.”

After that the day belonged to Michael Dunlop. The Ballymoney extended his North West win tally to four with victories in the CP Hire Superstock race and the Vauxhall Superbike race on BMW S1000RRs.

Dunlop and Batham’s BMW mounted Michael Rutter were locked in battle when the red flags came out on the third lap after Simon Andrews (Penz13.com BMW) crashed heavily on the approach to Metropole.

Andrews was airlifted by helicopter to hospital and Dunlop declared the winner of the shortened race with Rutter in second and Gary Johnson (Lincs Lifting Kawasaki) in third.

Dunlop got another poor start in the feature Superbike race but battled his way through the pack to catch early leaders Josh Brookes (Milwaukee Yamaha) and Alastair Seeley (Mar-Train Kawasaki) by breaking the lap record twice. The Ballymoney man grabbed the lead on the fourth lap of five and opened a gap when Brookes ran wide on to the grass at Mather’s chicane.

“I really wanted to show what I could do on the BMW and the crowd was fantastic as they cheered me on on that last lap.” he said as he supped the winners’ bubbly.

“After the first race I had a good feel for the bike and we made a few changes that made things better and the best thing was that I stopped anyone beating my dad Robert’s record of 15 North West wins.”

Brookes eventually finished second, beating Seeley by 1.6 seconds after setting a new outright lap record of 122.958mph on the final lap of the race in what was only the Aussie BSB star’s third road race meeting.

“I am thrilled to be on the podium today.” he said after taking his second rostrum finish of race week and earning the Overseas Man of the Meeting award.

Peter Hickman (Ice Valley BMW) took the Best Newcomer award with four top 20 finishes during the week.

Current Duke Road Race Rankings Champion Michael Dunlop climbs to the top of the table, up some 17 places whilst nis elder brother William slots into third position up three spots. Sandwiched between the Ballymoney pair is Guy Martin in second, who also moves up three positions.

In all there are nine new entries in the top 50 after the first of the International Road Races of the 2014 series has been concluded.

Topping the New Entries is Alastair Seeley in sixth position, with Michael Rutter presently in ninth and Horst Saiger in tenth.

1 Michael Dunlop 18 Up 17 490

2 Guy Martin 5 Up 3 350

3 William Dunlop 6 Up 3 348

4 Ivan Lintin 1 Down 3 334

5 James Cowton 9 Up 4 297

6 Alastair Seeley New Entry 267

7 Lee Johnston 35 Up 28 256

8 Dan Kneen 1 Down 7 254

9 Michael Rutter New Entry 236

10 Horst Saiger New Entry 236

11 Jamie Hamilton 10 Down 1 221

12 Alastair Haworth 3 Down 9 220

13 Michael Sweeney 3 Down 10220

14 Ryan Farquhar 11 Down 4 211

15 Derek McGee 7 Down 8 206

16 Seamus Elliott 8 Down 8 193

17 Josh Brookes New Entry 190

18 Dean Harrison 12 Down 6 167

19 Conor Cummins New Entry 156

20 Derek Sheils 14 Down 6 145

21 Barry Davidson 13 Down 7 134

22 Gary Johnson New Entry 132

23 Davy Morgan 15 Down 8 126

24 Philip Shaw 16 Down 8 119

25 Keith Amor 34 Up 9 116

26 Connor Behan 17 Down 9 115

27 Jamie Coward 19 Down 8 101

28 Sam Dunlop 20 Down 8 100

29 Daley Mathison 21 Down 8 100

30 Neil Kernohan 22 Down 8 98

31 Tom Robinson 23 Down 8 98

32 Anthony McColgan 24 Down 8 97

33 Martin Jessopp New Entry 96

34 Bruce Anstey New Entry 92

35 Paul Robinson 25 Down 1090

36 Derek Costello 26 Down 1086

37 Robert McCrum 27 Down 1085

38 Shaun Anderson 28 Down 1082

39 Nick Anderson 29 Down 1081

40 John Ella 30 Down 1080

41 Davie Hastings 31 Down 1079

42 William Cowden 32 Down 1075

43 Tommy Henry 33 Down 1075

44 Justin Waring 36 Down 8 72

45 Stephen McKnight 37 Down 8 69

46 James Hillier New Entry 64

47 Paul Jordan 38 Down 9 61

48 Jonathan Doran 39 Down 9 60

49 Nigel Moore 40 Down 9 60

50 Freddie Stewart 41 Down 9 56

Full details of the Duke Road Race Rankings can be found on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/DukeRoadRaceRankings
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: