Click on An Image To Visit The Site

Shiraws Logo photo Shirlaws Logo_zpsxhmrizdx.jpg

To have your banner/link displayed contact mago1@hotmail.co.uk

Please support Irishroadracers.Com - by making a donation - All monies recived are used to maintain the hosting - operating costs of Our Sites - Radio Stations.
Irish-Roadracers-Media.com - Promoting Road Racing All Over The World
April 20, 2024, 12:10:06 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Store Gallery Links Calendar Login Register Chat  

JAMISON CALLS A HALT ON RACING CAREER AFTER 15 YEARS OF ACTION

Click On An Image Below For Live Timing - Classic Rock - Moto Podcasts - Live Race Broadcasts - Recorded Commentaries

New layer...
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: JAMISON CALLS A HALT ON RACING CAREER AFTER 15 YEARS OF ACTION  (Read 454 times)
Mago
Administrator

« on: October 25, 2012, 11:13:20 am »

2011 Irish Superbike Champion, Kirk Jamison, has confirmed his decision to retire from racing due to the lengthy lay off and long term injuries sustained as a result of a crash at Croft in April of this year.

Jamison endured five fractures and soft tissue bleeding of the spine plus several collapsed discs. He also dislocated his collarbone and suffered various soft tissue injuries to the pelvis, knee and ankle, one of which still requires an operation later this year. Despite making excellent progress with his rehabilitation in the past six months the Commercial manager with H&J Martin has accepted the long term affects of the crash leave him with no alternative but to hang up his leathers.
Kirk Jamison at the 2011 NW200 launch

Jamison said:“I haven’t lost any of my passion for the sport and was still sorely tempted to make a return but decided it's time to think with my head instead of my heart for the good of my long term health, family and employment. I won’t be walking away from the sport, it has been a major part of my life to date including nearly fifteen years as a competitor and I am sure I will continue to be involved for many years to come in some capacity."

After making his debut at Nutts Corner in August 1997 Jamison competed in a number of races over the next few years before taking in his first full season in 2001, finishing fifth in the Irish 125cc Clubmans' Championship, one place ahead of World Superbike star Eugene Laverty. Over the next eight years Jamison notched up eleven top six Irish Championship finishes in 250cc, Supersport and Superbike along with two Nantwich and Cheshire Championships; two Ken Redfern successes, a Laird of Croft win and Celtic Match Race and Six Nation victories for Ireland and Northern Ireland respectively. But it was 2011 that really belonged to the father of four as he won the Ulster and Irish Superbike, Irish Superstock and Adelaide Masters titles; a clean sweep of every big bike short circuit title in Ireland. A dream North West 200 debut may have been marred by the weather but a 17th place for Mar-Train Racing in the Supersport race was enough to tick that box for the predominately short circuit racer. A total of 141 podiums and 67 race wins, six championships and some prestigious trophies are enough for the Jim Angus Contracts / Feckin Whiskey backed rider to call it a day with no regrets.

He concluded: “Of course I had other ambitions which I won’t get to fulfil; none more so than the North West 200 where I had high hopes of a result in the Supertwins race riding for Ryan Farquhar. I have had a great run though and in the end am lucky to be walking away rather than wheeled away. You gain a lot of perspective when you end up like I did in April and I am thankful every day that I can get out of bed - thanks in the major part to the superb and immediate medical attention we receive at races.

"The sport has been fantastic to me; I have met some wonderful people along the way and have many amazing memories. Through the generosity of my family, Supporters' Club and sponsors I have done what many only dream of doing, I cannot thank everyone enough. So many people have invested so much time, effort and heartache over the years that it is impossible to properly thank them all. Special mention to my Dad though who got me into the sport, if it wasn’t for him I would have never got to try it. I would also like to pass on my thanks to all the unsung heroes of our sport: the race officials, medical teams, media outlets and photographers without whom it wouldn’t be possible and many of whom have become firm friends.”
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: