Click on An Image To Visit The Site

Shiraws Logo photo Shirlaws Logo_zpsxhmrizdx.jpg

To have your banner/link displayed contact mago1@hotmail.co.uk

Please support Irishroadracers.Com - by making a donation - All monies recived are used to maintain the hosting - operating costs of Our Sites - Radio Stations.
Irish-Roadracers-Media.com - Promoting Road Racing All Over The World
March 28, 2024, 04:32:45 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Store Gallery Links Calendar Login Register Chat  

Anstey ready for challenge at Dundrod

Click On An Image Below For Live Timing - Classic Rock - Moto Podcasts - Live Race Broadcasts - Recorded Commentaries

New layer...
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anstey ready for challenge at Dundrod  (Read 301 times)
Mago
Administrator

« on: August 10, 2012, 08:46:57 am »

By Paul Lindsay

Windsor-based Kiwi Bruce Anstey will awaken from a nine-week slumber to take in this week’s McKinstry Skip Hire Ulster Grand Prix — kicking off  with the Dundrod 150 Races — and despite all the hype surrounding Michael Dunlop and a potential five-timer on Saturday the formbook can be thrown out the window.

His racing preparation model will not be found in any scientific handbook, and despite adding a bit of motocross to his repertoire this past 12 months, the former BMX champion literally just rolls up and races.

A lot has been said and written on his move to Padgett’s Honda at the end of the 2010 season, after what seemed like a lifetime under the auspices of Hector and Philip Neill at TAS Racing.

Everything comes to an end and despite tangible success on various branded Suzuki machinery with the Moneymore-based outfit, it would be fair to say that Bruce is enjoying somewhat of a renaissance in his career since joining Clive Padgett’s rainbow liveried set-up.

He comes to the Ulster Grand Prix not having raced a motorcycle since June 6 on the Isle of Man, but after his showing at Dundrod last season on Padgett’s machinery, taking a controversial Ulster Grand Prix Superbike victory from the second group on corrected time, the ever-smiling Kiwi would be happy to do it all again — in the very same format — on Saturday, should the opportunity present itself.

“I knew I had a good chance of the win last year, despite the problems in qualifying, but starting on the front of the second group was definitely an advantage for me,” said Anstey, who looking back on his victory added: “It gave me a clear run and I didn’t have to dice with anyone.

“I did come across some slower riders from the back of the first group towards the end, which held me up a bit, but we got the win,” he smiled.

Mass start racing is designed to take its winner from ‘first past the post’ or in the case of motorcycle racing, first to dip under the chequered flag.

But failing to qualifying in the ‘elite’ front group has turned out to be advantageous in recent times, as both Anstey and Michael Rutter (a winner at this year’s NW200 in similar circumstances) have shown, taking wins on corrected time.

It’s a loophole in the current rules that many feel needs addressed, arguably robbing the fans, who wait patiently in the Joey Dunlop Grandstand on the start-finish line at Dundrod, for the first man into view coming out of Quarry Bends as their winner.

Anstey, refuting the claim, said: “It is a great position to start from and I’d be happy to do it again, but no-one goes out to qualify in the second group.

“The best case scenario is qualify quickest in pole position; start from the front row and try to get away from the pack.”

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: